The object of this exercise was to develop a workflow suitable for carrying out a small assignment as required by the exercise. I needed to take portrait photos on location, producing enough in number (twenty or more) to bring back and edit by one means or another until I had one or two images I was happy to use.
After some research on line I developed this simple workflow diagram. As anyone who knows me will tell you this is not how I usually work so it will be sometime before I get the right attributes on paper and before I get the right mind-set to work within a structure. It will be good for me!
I went out to shoot and set myself a nominal time limit of one hour. The workflow seemed pretty straightforward although I hadn’t noted down my nominal time limit within the framework of the workflow. As I shot I reviewed the photos I had taken in camera and deleted appropriately. I reassessed the subject and situation and shot again. During the shoot I realised that I had way more than just the twenty (or more!) shots required. This started putting pressure on me although there was no real reason for it except the number ‘twenty’ haunting me. This, I realise now, may have made me finish the shoot sooner than I wanted to. Indeed, I think the subject was just getting warmed up to the idea of being photographed. I ended up with around fifty frames in my camera.
Back at home I sat down and imported all the images to my hard drive. Then I deleted all the obvious candidates (blurred, bad composition, bad light), from the hard drive just using the ‘Finder‘ from the computer. After that I imported them in to a new project/album in Aperture. In here I quickly went through the remaining images (32) and deleted the ones that were still out of focus but that I couldn’t see via the ‘Finder’. Now I was left with a virtual ‘contact sheet‘ for me to look at. Images which needed viewing and editing on compositional merit (background, facial expression, pose). This took slightly longer as I had to bear in mind what they might look like once cropped. Once I was down to the final five I needed to just pick my favourites from those few. In fact I ended up with three, which I then edited (crop, brightness, contrast) and then exported in a smaller file size for the blog. Finally, I backed up all the images for the project on an external hard drive so they are safe and archived on two separate devices (my computer and external hard drive).
In going through this process I realised that I have overlooked quite a lot in my workflow (written prior to the exercise). In retrospect more detail was needed such as time limit, image limit (I am thinking that I could apply a film industry shoot ratio to this if necessary). Also, I need to add in things that I do naturally such as break down the types of edits that I do (deleting blurred first, over/under exposed second and so forth) and the order that I do them in so that I don’t miss anything and it is performed as efficiently as possible. I also think that each project will need it’s own workflow as the will all be different (such as the final use for the images; web, print, publish). The workflow can be based on an existing template but must be made unique for each individual shoot.
The images below are the result of the shoot that were all taken on location at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore. Many thanks to Karen for her willing participation and patience!