In the final part of the previous exercise I demonstrated a pretty clear deception of the viewer by changing the sky from clear to cloudy. This was done by adding the sky. This exercise will show the subtraction of a whole subject from the image. What I am required to do is remove an object from a photograph entirely. The object in question needed to take up a fair proportion of the frame so it is not simply a case of quickly using the ‘clone’ tool to remove a small ‘insignificant’ blemish and also takes on some significance in its removal.
Here is the image I chose;
It shows my son jumping through the ruins of a temple. He is the subject I shall remove.
To do this I have used a combination of the clone tool and the healing tool. There are some areas of repetition that can be seen here as well as some soft areas due to the feathering involved. I used this photograph for a couple of reasons. Firstly it’s quite a busy image which means there are more distractions to take the viewer away from the fact it has been manipulated. Secondly, the regular nature of the architecture makes certain parts easier to clone and continue the pattern, fooling the viewer’s eye. The tricky areas were those were a more irregular, intricate pattern needed to be observed.
This process could easily apply to someone removing unwanted tourists etc from their otherwise pristine image. There was also a large amount of repair work going on on the site (Angkor Wat) which is absolutely necessary but you could almost sense the disappointment of some of the tourists wanting to see it without the workmen and tools. Most were bypassing the opportunity to photograph this turning instead to the original parts of the temple for their shots. I suspect if they were inclined and able, they would be prime candidates for doing what I have done here in this exercise. I am of the opinion that this is a bridge too far and think most photographers would rather arrive early or have the patience to wait until the image they want is the one in their frame. Again, as mentioned in my previous post, this comes down to intent.